Deployment Services Officer (DSO)
- 24/7 on 0800 683 77 327 (0800 OVERSEAS)
- Defence Telephone Network: 369 7399
- Direct Dial In: 06 351 9399
- Mobile: 021 649 903
- Contact Me by email
- Location and Mailing Address- Linton Community Centre, Cnr Jervois Rd and Bells Rd Linton Military Camp, Palmerston North 4820
- Office Hours: 8.00am - 4.30pm (I am often out and about so please ring first if possible)
- New Zealand Defence Force personnel deployed overseas
- families of deployed personnel
Role and Responsibilities:
To support New Zealand Defence Force personnel and their families during periods of deployment overseas. My responsibilities include but are certainly not limited to the following:
- 24-hour phone contact for deploying personnel and their families on welfare-related issues
- pre-deployment welfare briefings to deploying personnel and their families
- tour update family briefings
- attend deployment departures and homecomings
- co-production of the Bugle (deployment newsletter)
- advocate on deployment welfare issues as required
- advice to command
About Janine Burton
I have been a Deployment Services Officer since November 2006, just in time to farewell my son on his first deployment to Timor-Leste. I have supported many missions, large and small to destinations all over the world.
My husband has deployed twice on overseas missions, as has our son. My personal experience of having a partner and a son serve on overseas deployment provides me with an empathy with the families I support.
I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to go through the deployment process and visit a deployment location (Timor-Leste) and have used this experience many times when discussing this deployments with family members.
I am always available to talk to you about the many different aspects of deployment. I always have my phone with me and with an 0800 contact number, it will cost nothing to make the call, except peace of mind.